Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nature's Candy

I've been known to say that peaches are my favorite fruit.

I'm not talking about canned peaches, which are serviceable, at best. I'm talking about the fresh version, the type that has no idea what light syrup is.


For a few weeks each summer, these ripe treats are available at the greenmarket in peak condition. I'll eat them whole, sliced, grilled or any other way you can think of. Anytime in July or August that I see peaches on a menu, I'm going to be ordering the dish, guaranteed.


So it was on my birthday a couple weeks ago when I was dining with a friend for lunch at the Gramercy Tavern. Stuffed after sampling a delicious "Grilled Octopus, Mizuna, Fennel and Ginger Vinaigrette," a very good "Duck Terrine with Onion and Pistachio Marmalade," and solid "Sea Scallops with Baby Beets and Bacon," we only considered dessert because we felt obligated (it was my birthday lunch after all).


Lo and behold, the menu listed an option that I was obligated to order, a "Peach Cobbler for Two with Blackberry Sorbet and Ginger Ice Cream." For $12, we were presented with an enormous dessert (easily enough for 3) that was simply the finest expression of fresh peaches I've ever experienced.


I won't say any more, other than take a look at the picture below and try not to trample other readers on your way to the tavern.

Click to Enlarge (at your own risk)


You can walk in anytime of day and order this dessert in the casual bar area, but from 6-10 PM there might be a bit of a wait. Enjoy.

No comments: